Sunday, November 24, 2013

My First Semester

After almost completing a full semester in college as a full time student there have been many things I have learned. I have learned what study habits work best for me and which ones don’t, I have learned to ask questions when you need help, and I have learned many time management skills so I can fit work into my busy academic schedule. This semester has had many positive and negative experiences for me but overall it has gone better than I would have expected it to.
The hardest part about my first college semester was time management. I started a part time job right before classes began and I didn’t expect it to be as hard as it is to juggle my school and work schedules. I really had to learn to plan ahead and not put studying and assignments off to the last minute. I have also learned to use time wisely and if I get a break I make good use of it by working on assignments.
I also had to try different studying techniques to figure out what works best for me. I tried using my daily planner to write all my assignments down but I found myself forgetting to write it down and found it inconvenient and time consuming to use the planner. I eventually resorted to only using it when I became over loaded with work so I wouldn’t forget anything. I also found that breaking studying up into chunks the week before an exam really makes a big difference and takes a lot of stress off of your shoulders.
The most helpful thing I did this semester was using the student success center for my computer science labs and going to my professor’s office hours for my math classes when I was having issues. The instructors and tutors are very helpful, and I always understand the material when I leave. Without these two things my semester would have been a nightmare and I am thankful that I took full advantage of them.

I am looking forward to my future college career. I have improved my studying and time management skills, and have figured out what works best for me. I currently have the grades I was hoping for and I am looking forward to getting finals over with and going on break. Overall my semester was positive and the positives definitely outweighed the negatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment